-

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

From the history archives ...


Birthdays are made for celebrating, especially when your new "baby" is Florida's State Wildflower license plate.

Gary Henry, a Florida Wildflower Foundation board member and a key proponent of the license plate's creation, was first in line when the plates became available in 2000.

"When I got notice the plates were ready, I immediately purchased WFL 001," he says. "Somehow my co-worker got a picture of it and had a cake made to celebrate. They must have taken the plate off my truck, photographed it and then put it back on without me knowing!"

The State Wildflower license plate first became available to the public in May 2000. Since then, more than 120,000 have been purchased. The $15 donated to the Foundation through each sale has created more than $1.8 million in revenue, most of which has been dispersed through the Foundation's grants program.

No comments: